If you can’t decide between brownies or cheesecake, combine them! Variations of this cheesecake brownie made their way onto many ‘dainty’ trays and into the showcase when I catered and had a cafe. It was always a favourite.
I used good-quality raspberry preserves this time, but you can use any good jam, preserve, or pie filling you like. Some of my favorite options are raspberry preserves (obviously 😉 ), cherry pie filling, or orange marmalade.
For the cafe showcase, I’d cut these into big pieces, but at home, I usually cut them into 2-inch by 2-inch squares. You will get approximately 20 squares if cut that way. Get a large mug of coffee and enjoy!
Rich brownie, creamy cheesecake swirled together with the jam of your choice.
- 112 grams / 4 oz. butter (1/2 cup)
- 112 grams / 4 oz. dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 227 grams / 8 oz. granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 70 grams / 2 1/2 oz. all-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- 56 grams / 2 oz. cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 250 grams / 8 3/4 oz. softened cream cheese (1 small block)
- 56 grams / 2 oz. granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 3/4 cup good quality jam, preserves or pie filling
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line an 8-inch by 11-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make the brownie. Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the sugar, using a spoon to mix together. Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir until well combined. Mix in the salt and vanilla extract. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and fold in, just until there are no dry streaks left. Pour two-thirds of the brownie batter into the lined baking-dish and spread out evenly with a spatula. Set the rest of the brownie batter aside.
- Make the cheesecake. Use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth. Add the egg, vanilla and heavy cream and mix until well combined. Pour the cheesecake batter over the brownie batter in the baking-dish.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the jam/preserves/pie filling in stripes over the cheesecake. (You can use a spoon if you dont have a piping bag, just spoon the filling in lines.)
- Use a spatula or spoon to add the reserved brownie batter. I use a spatula and let the brownie batter slowly fall off the spatula in lines.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the brownie/cheesecake/jam together, dragging the blade of the knife back and forth through the pan. (See pictures below.)
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, turn the pan and bake another 15-20 minutes or until the top of the brownie looks ‘dry’, the edges are golden brown and the center is set when touched with your finger.
- Let cool, then chill before using the parchment paper to lift the brownie out of the baking-dish. Use a sharp knife to cut the brownies. Enjoy!
- Store, wrapped, in the fridge or freeze in an air-tight container or freezer bag.