I’m calling this recipe a “pudding” but you could also call it a crustless quiche. Really, it’s a lot of fresh corn kernels, mixed with softened leeks and held together with a custard. Whether a pudding or a quiche, it’s delicious.
When I was shopping this week I couldn’t walk by the big bins of corn without grabbing some. To me, seeing the fresh corn means summer is finally here. More often than not, I keep it simple with fresh corn. Boiled (or microwaved) with a little butter spread on and a dusting of salt. Or if the weather is good and the barbeque is on, I love to brush corn cobs with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper and cook over the flames until the kernels turn a beautiful golden brown.
But sometimes I want to do something else and when I spotted some huge, gorgeous leeks on the same shopping trip I thought they’d work well with the corn. At first I thought soup – a creamy corn and leek soup was a great option. But I’ve been on a quiche and fritatta kick lately, so my plans quickly headed in that direction. This is really easy to put together and the results are delicous.
Enjoy this dish right out of the oven, but if you need to make it ahead it reheats beautifully. Just cover and reheat gently.
Corn and Leek Pudding
This pudding could also be called a crustless quiche. Loads of corn and leeks held together by custard. Great as a side dish with a fish dinner or serve it with a side salad for a light meal. Serves 8-10.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 leeks, washed well – white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (about 3 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- 3 Tbsp. grated parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 cups of fresh corn kernels, cut from 4 ears
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter or spray a 10 cup baking dish with oil.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat and add the leeks. Saute for 5-6 minutes or until soft (not browned) and remove from heat. Let cool while you prep everything else.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the salt, pepper, sugar, corn starch and parmesan and whisk well. Add the half and half and whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Add the corn kernels and cooled leeks to the bowl and stir everything together.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn and bake another 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and firm in the centre and a tester stuck in the middle comes out clean.